Monday, January 21, 2008

Not Blogging

I haven't been blogging because I've been reconfiguring the LAN I run at home. Several of us share an Internet connection, with a maximum of eight computers connected to the Internet. I've been routing everything through a UNIX box that I was also using as my personal computer. That's not a good idea, since malfunctioning user software may require a reboot, and then everyone wants to know why they've got no Internet connection, or why they can't get files off the file server. Reboots are also significantly slowed by the user software, so a reboot may last five minutes.

So the router, the imap server, and the file servers (for UNIX, Windows, and classic Mac) are going to get their own UNIX box. I'm deinstalling all the user software and moving my home directories to a new computer, which will get turned off when I'm not using it.

And at some point, I really should get myself a Windows box running again. I haven't been using Windows for over two years. Well, not at home. At work I write programs that run under Windows. So there's something to be said for having a Windows system at home. But I'll probably replace the Windows shell with some sort of Blackbox derivative. On my personal UNIX box I'm using Blackbox with the grey style. What does it look like? It's grey. "Grey" totally describes it. God, I miss black and white television. ;)

No comments: